About Me

My photo
I'm your typical, ordinary, every day woman. Married to the man of my dreams and the best friend I could ever ask for. Mom to 3 loud and wild boys. Step mom to 1 loud and wild boy. I stay at home, take care of my family, and love being able to create a happy home and life for them. My life is more than I ever thought it would be...louder, crazier, more chaotic...but I wouldn't trade any of it.

Thursday, September 22, 2011

I love it when things go my way!

So with all the chaos going on right now in our lives, the kids are taking it quite hard.
Zach and Aidan are both acting out at school.

Aidan, with his plethora of energy, has had the hardest time since school started this year. His usual hyper-ness is magnified because of the inner turmoil hes experiencing.

I think everyone at the school is ready to pull their hair out!!!

So we met with our doctor (who I absolutely adore beyond words!) almost 2 weeks ago and he agreed that maybe its time to try some medication. We left a prescription for Adderall.

Turns out insruance wont cover Adderall. So I went back and forth with insurance, the pharmacy, and the doctor before the doctor finally said hed just switch meds.

Yesterday we got the script filled (Methyline ER) and Aidan took his first one this morning.

Today was the most absolutely phenomenal day teh child has ever had at school!
The Dr said we coudl see a change the first day but it usually took several days to a week to notice a change.

Aidan gets a special behavior chart where he earns a smile or frown face each hour based on his behavior (staying in seat and staying on task).  The last couple of weeks he has had, at best, half and half mix of smiles and frowns.
Today he had all smiles.

His teacher said that he stayed in his seat, got all his work done, participated in the discussions...it was like a different child.

The look of pride on his face today will never be matched. Ever.
He was so proud of himself.
I almost cried!

So Im not 100% sure today was solely due to the medication. Its possible but I think unlikely.
However, at the same time, I do not believe that the power of suggestion could keep this child in his seat all day today! I do beleive in a placebo effect and I think some of that played into today.
However, if you knew this child, you would agree that he couldnt manage this on his own.

I feel like Im walking on air tonight!
I am so proud of my baby.
But more importantly, I am so very happy for him!
He is the most sensitive of my children. He wants to do good. He wants approval. He wants to be valued.
His behavior has really taken a toll on his self esteem the last few months.

I pray tomorrow goes as well as today did.
I pray that this medication will be the 'key' to helping him succeed.
I pray that he learns a way to make a peace with the struggles he is facing now that no child should have to face...along with Zach!

No comments:

Post a Comment